Monday, October 27, 2014

Soup time! Hearty lentil soup

Another chilly day today, I guess it's time for soup! This recipe for lentil soup originally came from a Williams Sonoma cookbook called Soup.  It was part of a boxed set I received as a gift. Since so many of the things I cook come with some kind of story. here's my lentil soup story.  My mother made lentil soup, though hers was nothing like this recipe, it was dark and muddy and didn't have any vegetables.  My sister always said it tasted like dirt.  Now the only time my mother made this soup was during Lent when we ate less meat.  Throughout my entire childhood, I thought it was called lentil soup because it was only eaten during Lent!  I never knew those little legumes were called lentils! 

 Often soup  tastes better if let to simmer for hours on the back burner.  Not this one!  This recipe is quick.  It is inexpensive and very healthy.  Lentils have protein and lots of fiber.  You can use any kind of lentils, they come in many colors.  I use a mixture of brown and pink, but you can use any color.  Brown are the most common.  Lentils are found in your supermarket near the beans and rice.  I did make a few changes to the recipe and this is my version.

2 Tablespoons olive oil
1 onion, chopped
1 stalk of celery thinly sliced
1 carrot peeled and thinly sliced
1 clove of garlic minced
1 bay leaf
1 can diced tomatoes
1 1/2 cups of dried lentils rinsed and picked through
4 cups  chicken broth
1 box of frozen chopped spinach (you can of course use fresh)
salt and pepper
8 ounces of uncooked small pasta like ditalii

Put the oil into a saucepan and sauté onion, carrot, celery, garlic and bay leaf.  Cook for about 5 minutes, or until the vegetables are softened.  Add the tomatoes, chicken broth and  lentils. Add salt and pepper to taste.  Raise the heat to medium high and bring to a simmer.  Reduce the heat to medium low, partially cover and cook for about 15 minutes.  Add the box of spinach and continue to cook another 15 minutes.  While the soup is cooking, prepare the pasta according to package directions.  Add drained pasta to the soup.  Remove the bay leaf and serve with crusty bread and a salad.  This meal can be made ahead and frozen.  It makes about 4-6 servings, double the recipe and freeze half for another meal.  How easy was that!

Happy Cooking!

Carol
a.k.a. Nonnie

No comments:

Post a Comment