Friday, January 2, 2015

Omelet bread and Happy New Year!

My New Year's wish for all of you is for a happy, healthy and prosperous 2015.  Live life to the fullest; love life to the fullest and share that love and joy with others!

This was a recipe I promised a while ago.  I just realized it has been two months since I posted.  I am sooooo  sorry!!!  Sometimes I get distracted by life.  I rarely make resolutions for the new year, but I am resolving to post at least once a week.  Hopefully, if I can get on some kind of schedule, I will post even more often than that.  I am amazed at bloggers that I follow who have a full time job, a full life and time to post as often as twice a day!  I need to work on this! 

This is another recipe I got from my neighbor when I lived in Omaha, Nebraska.  She is the one who had four children and accomplished things "around the edges."  It is a family favorite that I have been making for over 30 years!  I made this for breakfast on Christmas morning.  It can be made ahead and stored in the fridge (Which is just what I did, because there is no time for cooking Christmas morning!); it reheats well. We have been eating the leftovers all week!  We have also eaten it cold along with a salad as a summer supper.  The recipe sounds like a heart attack waiting to happen, which is why I don't make it as often as I used to. It makes about sixteen servings, because a thin slice is very filling.  So if you take the ingredients and divide by 16, it's really not all that bad. It's less than half an egg and less than an ounce of cheese per person. You can change the kinds of cheese if you don't like one of the kinds listed.  You can also add green or red peppers, parsley or chives.  Play with the flavors.  Leave out the bacon if you don't like it.  Whatever, it's a pretty forgiving recipe.  Have fun with it. 
                                                                        
One caution that I must give you.  Do not try to remove this from the pan until it has cooled quite a bit.  If it's too hot when you try to remove it, the whole thing will fall apart.  I also have found that it helps to line the loaf pan with parchment.  I grease both the pan and the parchment, let it cool about 30 minutes, and you should be fine.  I recommend making it ahead, wrapping in foil, refrigerating, and then reheating in the oven when you are ready to serve.  Ok, here goes!

6 eggs-beaten
3/4 cup milk-you can use whole, low fat or skim
1  1/2 cup flour
2   1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
6 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
1 cup ham cubed
1 cup each of cheddar, Monterey jack, and Swiss cheese-cubed  (This is about 4 oz. of each cheese or 12 ounces total.)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix flour, baking powder, and salt.  Add eggs and milk to bowl and mix well.  Add ham, bacon and cubed cheese.  Mix thoroughly.  Wasn't that easy?  Grease 9 x 4 inch loaf pan and line with parchment.  Note:  the parchment will cover the long sides of the pan, don't worry about the short sides.  Just grease all well.  Pour mixture into loaf pan and bake 50 - 60 minutes.  It will be golden on top and a toothpick or wooden skewer will come clean when you poke the center.  Remember to cool thoroughly before removing from the pan!

Try this out this weekend, let me know how it turned out.  I welcome comments and questions.  Just look for the post comments section below this post. 

Again, a healthy New Year to all!

Happy Cooking!

Carol
a.k.a. Nonnie



No comments:

Post a Comment