Thursday, March 17, 2016

Happy St. Patrick's Day! Here's an Irish Soda Bread Recipe for you!

Many of you know that my heritage is Italian.  All of my grandparents were born in Italy and came to this country in the early 1900's.  I am very proud of my Italian heritage, but today everyone is Irish, including me!

Over the years, I have tried many different Irish Soda bread recipes, but I always seem to come back to this one as noted by how dirty the page is in my cookbook.  This recipe came from the Sunset Cookbook of Breads published by the Lang Magazine and Book Company.  The original was copyrighted in 1966. My edition was printed in 1975.  It was my very first bread cookbook.  I began all my bread baking adventures with this book.  It is literally falling apart, so much so, that I purchased a second copy back in the mid 80's. Yet I always come back to the original one, even though I now have nearly two shelves of bread cookbooks, I can't bring myself to get rid of it.

This is a very easy recipe, it doesn't involve yeast or rising or any other usual bread making techniques, except for a little kneading.  There are several variations, you can add caraway seeds, raisins, craisins, or currents.  This recipe makes two loaves.  I usually add craisins to one loaf and leave the other plain.

4 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 cup sugar (optional)
1/8  teaspoon cardamom or coriander (optional)
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter
1 egg
1 3/4 cups buttermilk

This can be made in the food processor since you are cutting in the butter, but you can use the old fashioned method of two knives or a pastry blender to cut in the butter.  Combine flour salt, baking powder, baking soda and sugar and spices (if using) in the bowl of a food processor.  Pulse a few times to combine. Add butter and pulse until mixture looks like coarse crumbs.  Do the same if you are using a pastry blender. Beat the egg slightly and mix with the buttermilk.  Add to the mixture. Combine until blended.  Turn dough out onto a lightly floured board and knead three or four times. Divide the dough in half and shape into round loaves.  Place each loaf into a greased 8 inch round cake pan.  Use a sharp knife and cut a cross about 1/2 inch deep into the top of each loaf.  Bake at 375 degrees for 35 to 40 minutes.  Turn loaves onto a rack to cool a few minutes.  Serve with butter and jam or marmalade. Enjoy!

Happy cooking!
Carol

a.k.a
Nonnie


No comments:

Post a Comment